Saturday, February 9, 2013

Med 2 and remembering home

The first week of med 2 went amazing and I love my new schedule!!!  Instead of 8 hrs or more a day in class we are in class about 3 hrs a day on average.  This leaves more time for studying and preparing for shelves at the end of the semester.  Sounds amazing huh?!?! Oh how the small things mean the most to me at this point in my life.

One thing I want to comment on is the fact that during the crossing of the med 1 to med 2 threshold my class size nearly shrunk in half.  At the beginning of last semester our class contained roughly 500 and some odd students and now at the beginning of med 2 our class is around 275-300 students at this point.  I guess that some individuals struggled because the material was difficult and others didn't do well because the partying at the beach was just "too" good to pass up.   I guess this sobering fact seemed to really sink in during a small group lecture when one of our professors told us congratulations and starting clapping........got to love feeling like your future is just sitting on the chopping block waiting for you to slip and be cleaved to the side.

Well instead of talking about school I would like to talk about my great and maybe boring at times Christmas break.  While back in Missouri I did indeed get plenty of relaxing and added a little bit of shopping to my schedule but, I also got my fair share of farm work too.  Although it was by no means intense and not very busy it was filled was very interesting experiences to say the least.  For the first two weeks I was home I was on some major baby watching duty. lol jk Just some annoying baby watching duty.  Nothing worse than waiting on three heifers to deliver babies during a cold nasty time of year and getting up several times in the night checking for discharge and if your lucky feet!!!  So while I was home I had the pleasure of seeing about 10 babies be born and even got to pull a breech baby boy at 4 a.m.  Lucky me.  I also got to clean some lacerated hooves, set a compound fracture on a baby calf, and artificially inseminate 3 cows.  As you can tell I was too lazy to do much more "breeding" than that....sad huh?  Ok, Ok sad "farmy" humor.  lol I kid anyway, it was a good break and I had fun riding on my four wheeler, and checking cows in the Jeep!  The Jeep seems to be the only way to go when the weather is cold and the ground is covered in snow!  I guess all the Carib sun and heat has made me a complete wussy!  But this is what I got to see when I was out.........



Below is a picture of my dad, grandmother, and I at my sisters 19th birthday party where I was showing her all the picture from my med 1 adventure.  I hope that grandma enjoyed it because I sure enjoyed showing her what I have been up to for the last few months.



Also during my break I got to complete an enhancement project at the local clinic and hospital.  During this period I had the opportunity to observe clinic, rounds, surgery and deliveries with a team of obgyn's.  This was nothing short of amazing.  I loved the love hours, amazing procedures, and the interesting cases.  I got to see my first c-section and vaginal delivery!!!   Pretty amazing is all that I got to see. Although it would of be more helpful to have observed this specialty after med 2 (that is when we cover renal and repro), I still had a phenomenal time.  I even got to attend hospital meetings and see all the paper pushing that goes on behind closed doors.  All I have to say is even with electronic medical records, doctors/nurses can wipe out a whole forest with the amount of paper that is used!!! (insert frown face)!  On a lighter note I learned how to write prescriptions and even got to write a few (with the doctor watching and then signing and approving).....made me feel like a big deal......for a few seconds anyway.

Below are a few pictures from when I was home and some of my cute beautiful baby calves......with faces only a farmer could love.

 My sister and a nearly full grown Susie, a calf she and I raised on a bottle.
 A 4 month old Predestined daughter that I A.I. and this is the first time seeing her.
 On the left is a Cheyenne Blend grandson and a commercial heifer on the right.
 Big money daughter I artificialed.  I have previously posted pictures my sister had sent me of this heifer.
 Another Cheyenne Blend grandson out of a Sim/Angus cow.

No comments:

Post a Comment