Sunday, August 12, 2012

Leaving Home and Making it to Antigua

Although I am pretty much positive the only individuals that will be reading this blog will be my mother and my sister, I will go ahead and introduce myself.  My name is Laura and I am a first year medical student at the American University of Antigua.  I find the title of my silly little blog I made (mostly for mommies sake) quite fitting considering I was raised on a cattle farm in rural Missouri. This adventure to Antigua is my first international trip and the I am beginning to feel it is probably the craziest thing I have ever attempted.  

It was a really difficult decision to leave home but I felt it was probably my only chance of changing my life.....to enhance my life.  Leaving all my animals, family, and the only life I have ever know was tremendously difficult and I hope that I don't regret my decision.  

On a much lighter note I had a great experience leaving KCI, traveling through Atlanta, and finally arriving at the Antiguan airport.  I even got to watch an in flight movie "the lucky one".   I am not going to lie going through customs was no less than just absolutely exhausting!  I was nervous about the wait in the crowded hot airport lines and possibily having customs give me a hard time about all the goods I brought with me to the island.  However, I think the guy saw me struggling all by myself with my 4 pieces of luggage (I didnt know I was suppose to flag down someone with a trolly) and decided to not give me a hard time. He just asked me what I brought and I said clothes and asked if I brought anything I could share with him and that was all. I was sweating though!  Inside and out! I am sure the next several times through customs wont be so easy.  But several hours of waiting I am sure was punishment enough.  I met several other students waiting in line going through customs and while waiting for a taxi to arrive.  I was amazed to see a young beautiful girl from Canada that had a whole jumbo trolley all to herself containing no less than probably 10 pieces of luggage......all of which had the orange "heavy" tag attached.  Wow!  I probably couldn't load up all my belongings from home and fill up all those suitcases. But I am happy with my housing and quickly made 3 new friends one from Texas, and two from New York.  Those individuals have helped me out tremendously, with everything from getting a taxi, going to the grocery store and showing me around the island. 

Last night the guys and I had the opportunity to check out my first Antiguan dive and grocery store with a bar/restaurant upstairs.  The veggie pizza I ordered was amazing despite waiting an hr for it to be made.  My first experience in the grocery store was crazy!  It reminded me a lot of the tiny grocery store we had at home in terms of having only two or three isles and being dingy.  For anyone coming to Antiuga don't be completely shocked at the cost of the food.  Although the food is more expensive the exchange rate makes everything over twice the price that it would be at home.  Seriously on our Facebook group one of my fellow students went to an upscale grocery store called the epicurean and spent $53.00 EC on a jar of mayo!!! That roughly figures to $20 US which is still expensive!  But there are other place to shop and quality food that isn't quite that outrageous.  One just has to be careful. 

Today I had the opportunity to swim laps this morning with a new friend and had a fun time.  I also had the opportunity to go the epicurean and come out of the store rather unscathed only spending $177 EC which figures to about $68 us and purchased quite a bit of food. To get to the Epicurean today I used a taxi for the first time spitting the fare with the guys.  Which came out to be a grand total of $4 us!  Pretty good I think...I don't know.  lol  I also got to go to dinner with the guys and a med 3 student at a bar/restaurant on the beach!!!!  It was beautiful and amazing!!!  Very very cool!  It was my first time getting to see the ocean from something other than an airplane window at several thousand feet.  The water was cool and very very blue!  The best evening ever.  The med 3 student was amazing enough to give us a driving tour (freakishly yet correctly on the left side of the road) of St. Johns and several of its highlight locations.  Even got to stop at an ice cream shop in the touristy area of St. Johns on the coast where the cruise ships dock. It was an great culturally diverse evening.  Most importantly I got to see the AUA campus!!!  It is massive and beautiful.  Cant wait to see the inside of the buildings and get a tour tomorrow while going through registration.  I was very glad for all the med 3 students tips and advice it was greatly appreciated!  I feel as if I couldnt be in better hands.  

No comments:

Post a Comment