Sunday, August 26, 2012

Surviving my first week

Surviving this past week of classes was monumental for me and all my friends.  Some classes were amazing and quite entertaining while others I couldn't even understand the professors because of their thick accents.  One professor that teaches human structure and function lectures finds it necessary to tease and humiliate all of us on a daily basis.  For the most part none of us mind because to be honest the man is very funny. He likes to talk about how he "Swears to God-No I swear to the cell!  It brought you in this world it will take you out!"and several other crazy things! Plus if you decide to use the bathroom while in his lecture he will be sure to ask you how it went when you come back into the lecture hall.....there are 150 of us in this hall....I will pee on the floor first before I leave.  He also likes to talk about epithelial cells, cancer cells or any other example he can find and attach it to the anus or vagina.  I am seriously not kidding.  Amongst all my friends our favorite quote is "Sure, I'll give you a white coat and a stethoscope, but you still won't know jack shit!" Amazing I tell you just amazing! 

Also on Friday I got to attend my first cadaver lab and it was nothing short of amazing.  I felt very privileged to be learning because of the individuals that made the ultimate sacrifice to donate their bodies for me to learn.  Only getting to see and utilize plastic models during undergraduate, I was amazed to actually get to see important landmarks on preserved specimens and actual cadavers. The lab was well kept and even had cameras and large screens for you to learn from during dissections.  

Well for every ones information Isaac was nothing but a big giant disappointment.  Nothing amazing occurred and it only gently rained.  Because of the drought in the Midwest it has been months since I have seen it actually rain. I really do love seeing all the green grass across the island and it really makes me sad for home.  Only a farm girl would be appreciate that concept.  However, I hear that Isaac is going to make landfall on Florida and Cuba today and I think it will be far more intense than it was for Antigua.  Being so far down on the island chain the storms don't have as much time to develop which decreases the threat.  This is a picture taken by a friend of mine of the our experience.




Although I never had much of an social life it seems like the new normal will spending Friday and Saturday nights studying and taking each others bloodpressure. We all had fun and it was interesting to see how accuate (or in my case NOT SO ACCURATE) we all were.  Amongst my friends one of them is an EMT and we look at him as the gold standard to how we are doing in regard to our bloodpressure taking skills.  It was intresting, entertaining, and very fun.  We also know that there is a hypertensive person in the group....you know who you are!

On a more exciting note it seems like at home several of my A.I. babies have been born!  There should be roughly about 20 babies to be expected and I am looking forward to more pictures!  Below is a picture of a "Big Money" calf out of a Sim/Angus cow. 






My "babies daddy"!!!!!  Isnt he handsome!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment