Thursday, August 16, 2012

Welcome and Orientation

Yesterday was my med school welcome and today was day one of a two day orientation.  Last night was amazing!  All 500+ med 1's in one room (this particular giant room is what AUA calls their "flex" room).  Setting near the rear of the room I was in aw looking out on a sea of students and the faculty on the stage before me.  The classroom was beautiful and it made me feel privileged to be setting there.  After the national   anthems of Antigua, India, and the United States was played the faculty was introduced and several speeches were made.  It was neat and interesting to hear the background education of my soon to be professors and educators I will be having this semesters.  These individuals have been educated all over the world and have been taught or had residencies at prestigious places such as Harvard, University of Rochester, Boston University, and Stanford.  After all the speeches and formalities a tea and snack's were served on the beautiful lawn of AUA.  Fritters, fruit, riot, brownies, and various other treats were served.  The sight was just beautiful and the food was good (not as good as yours mom). It was a great time sharing snacks and drinks on the AUA lawn with new friends and faculty.  It was a very beautiful sight!  Seriously all the well dressed men and women and the white food tents among the palm trees was a sight to be held!!  After the AUA Welcome all my fellow Utopia friends took the 6 pm bus back to the complex.  The bus ride was very hot and very crowded but again got to meet even more people from all over the US.  After arriving back at the complex I spent a few hours in the lobby talking with other med 1's talking about each persons plans for the weekend.  It seems like there will be a few parties that will be going on the island of Antigua to celebrate the beginning of the new semester.  After that I as in bed by 10 pm to make sure I was well rested for the next mornings orientation on campus.

Today was the first day of orientation and it was not near as fun or as exciting as last night.  It was a day full of listening about counseling services, our classes, and educational services.....not the most exciting things I have ever heard.  Today I also learned that a few of my professors had less than stellar English.....not so cool but I will do my best to survive and pay attention.  During the orientation lunch break I had a fish sandwich from what we AUA students call the shacks and it was delicious!!!  However, I think that packing my lunch will be cheaper and probably healthier.  After orientation I swam at the complex with other med 1's from New York and Texas....also another good time.  Also received an email from my mommy and a Facebook message from my sister.  Made my day to hear from my family.  Also loved hearing that one of my A.I. cows at home had a baby sired by Big Money.  CANT WAIT TO SEE PICTURES OF MY BABY!!!!  Also this evening I purchased an arm band to my first party at a place called the Lobster Shack a mixer for AUA med 1's.  I am nervous but also very excited!!!!  Hope that it is all safe and a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment